You know that stomach is a sac that holds and breaks down food. It is a muscular organ located in your abdomen, and if an abnormal growth of cells begins here, it is Stomach Cancer. Although this cancer, also known as gastric cancer, can occur anywhere in a Stomach, it usually starts in its central part. However, you can also have stomach cancers that begin in the food pipe or esophagus. Read on to know the symptoms of Stomach Cancer. If you think you are suffering from most of them, you could consult an oncologist in your city. And you can search online to find one; for example, you can search thebest oncologist in Mumbai if you live in Mumbai.
Symptoms of Stomach Cancer
Here are six signs that can point to Stomach cancer. However, they can be due to other diseases as well.
You may have trouble swallowing if you have a cancerous tumor in your esophagus. You may feel as if food got stuck in your throat. This condition is Dysphagia. The tumor blocks the passage of food, resulting in trouble. However, it can also occur due to cancer in the throat.
You can also feel tightness around your belly or an urge to pass gas. Your gut may also look swollen, known as distension. This condition may be due to stomach cancer. It can also happen due to eating certain types.
If you have a burning sensation or discomfort in the upper or mid-chest or throat, you may suffer heartburn. It may become worse after lying down. Most people get heartburn occasionally. However, if you get heartburn frequently, it would be better to consult a physician.
Symptoms of indigestion include feeling full soon after eating. You may also experience abdominal pain. It could signify stomach cancer; however, several digestive diseases can also cause indigestion.
If you feel uneasy and have a tendency to vomit, you have nausea. Nausea can happen for several reasons, many of which are unrelated to any disease. However, frequent nausea can be a symptom of cancer.
Also. check our other blogs.
Unintentional Weight Loss:
According to NCBI, gastric cancer patients can lose up to 48%. In addition, Health reports study say that 80% of people can lose unintentional weight because of stomach cancer.
In the early stages, cancer is curable. However, because the symptoms are typical of other diseases, people usually get diagnosed at a later stage. A person diagnosed with cancer has a survival rate of 70%. But in later stages, it may only be as low as 6%.
Who is more likely to develop these symptoms because of Stomach Cancer?
If you are:
- above 65
- male by birth
- from east Asia, south or central America, or Eastern Europe
Is Stomach Cancer prevalent?
Stomach cancer is a common type of cancer in the world. However, in the US, its cases have been steadily declining. The issues are even lower in India.
Is it possible to touch and feel a Stomach Cancer?
Yes, you can feel a bulge of abnormal growth by touching. However, it depends on how far your symptoms have developed. But doctors often diagnose it before it creates based on your symptoms, as mentioned above.
Can doctors tell the reason behind cancer?
Cancer is due to mutations occurring in the DNA. This mutation causes new cells to multiply and form a cancerous tumor. The exact cause of this mutation is still a mystery. However, researchers have linked certain factors that increase cancer risk.
- If anyone in the family has cancer, there is a chance that you can inherit it.
- Helicobactor pylori infection can also increase the likelihood of you showing cancer symptoms.
- People who show signs of GERD or Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease have more probability of developing cancer.
- Epstein-Barr virus infection may also increase the likelihood of developing stomach cancer.
- A history of stomach ulcers can make cancer more likely in you.
- Research has also linked cancer to eating high fatty, salty, smoked, or pickled foods.
- You are also at risk of developing cancer if you get frequently exposed to coal, metal, or rubber.
- Smoking, chewing, or vaping tobacco also increases the likelihood of developing stomach cancer.
- You have a slightly higher chance of getting stomach cancer if you drink too much alcohol.
- Researchers have also linked obesity to developing stomach cancer.
In conclusion, cancer is one of the most common cancer in the world. It may begin anywhere in the stomach; usually, people get cancer in its central part. However, cancer may also start in the esophagus. Cancer symptoms include difficulty swallowing, bloating, pain, nausea, unintentional weight loss, and heartburn. But these symptoms also may be due to other diseases; if you are in Mumbai, any of the best oncologists in Mumbai can make things clear.